It’s summer break here though and this particular variety of pizza, French Bread Pizza, is getting a lot of play time because it’s something the kids can spearhead for dinner on their own. At almost 9 now, Esme is comfortable using the oven on her own and that has opened up a world of possibilities for her in the kitchen. These simple French Bread Pizzas are a perfect main dish for her skill level.
These aren’t just ordinary French Bread Pizzas though and we certainly don’t just slap on some sauce and cheese and call it a meal. Not us. That’s not how we approach pizza in this house, not even the super easy French Bread variety. No, this is Perfect French Bread Pizza – the kind that is full of flavor and doesn’t get soggy. We make it perfect and then serve it with a salad from the backyard garden, which is how we get away with calling this basic kitchen feat, that just barely qualifies as a recipe, dinner.
You have to cook it in two layers, it’s all about the layers.
The first layer is a blend of olive oil, herbs, garlic, and Parmesan. After that has crisped to a lightly golden perfection, you add the sauce and the cheese and the fresh herbs and bake it again. That’s the secret and it works every time. Perfect French Bread Pizza. So simple my 9 year old can make it, but so delicious that we all enjoy every bite.
And last, but not least, French Bread Pizza night is not the time for worrying about whole grains and healthy bread. You know I love those whole grains, but this pizza tastes so much better when you just go for that extra fluffy bakery loaf of white french bread. It’s one of those things. If you’re healthy self is complaining, serve it with a salad from the garden then stuff it with a crunchy cheesy herbed slice of pizza bread and that ought to shut it right up. Works for me.
- 24 inch loaf French Bread, halved and cut into 8 equal slices
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella/Provolone cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons fresh Basil, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place bread on foiled pan, cut side up.
- In a small microwavable bowl, combine oil, garlic, dried basil, and salt. Mix well and microwave for 60 seconds. Brush mixture over the cut side of the bread slices then sprinkle evenly with Parmesan. Bake for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread each slice with 2 tablespoons of sauce, top with cheese and fresh herbs. Return to oven for 5 to 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly and bread is golden. Enjoy!