Last week of school here! Yesss!
The New Mexico weather has been fickle this month, and I’m not complaining a bit because the cooler temperatures and rainy afternoons have been wonderful for my fledgling garden, but all the same the summer break from school sneaked up on me. I’m still sleeping with an extra blanket and harvesting spring lettuce from the garden, but the kids are out of school this week so I guess it’s officially and unofficially SUMMER.
Well, not until 12:30 today though. So, before I get ahead of myself, I wanted to share this perfect spring pasta we’ve been enjoying.
Asparagus Lemon Cream Pasta with Crispy Prosciutto. I know it’s a long title, but I wanted to make sure you understood all of the incredible deliciousness that comprises this pasta. The tender, spring green asparagus cooks with the pasta. It’s tossed with a cream sauce bearing just the perfect hint of lemon and garlic then mixed with fresh basil and Parmesan. Top it with some skillet crisped prosciutto and it’s downright perfect pasta. Simple, quick, and almost elegant.
So, I think you should make this recipe. If creamy pasta with asparagus and prosciutto is your thing. It is your thing, right?
And though I’ve got one more pound of asparagus waiting for me, which means this pasta is being eaten at least one more time this week, I’m just about ready to pull out my flip flops and sunscreen and get down to it.
We’re going to sleep out on the trampoline and hike to the hot springs and go camping with friends and read books poolside and eat from our garden and make s’mores on the back patio. It’s going to be good. I hope you have a good summer ahead of you too. And if it hasn’t quite reached your neck of the woods yet, maybe eat some of this asparagus pasta while you wait.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 oz prosciutto in bite size strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- juice from 2 small lemons
- 1 lb pasta (fusilli or something like it)
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed, 1 inch pieces
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan
- ¾ cup fresh basil
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt to a rapid bowl. Add the pasta and cook for 8 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes more. Reserve ½ cup pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and return cooked pasta and asparagus to pan.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until it is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the cream and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cream sauce over the cooked pasta and asparagus, tossing lightly to coat. Stir in the Parmesan and fresh basil, then toss lightly with the crispy prosciutto. Use the reserved pasta water, a tablespoon or two at a time, until pasta is desired consistency. Eat up while it's warm.
Here are a few more really good Asparagus Recipes:
15 Minute Chicken Asparagus Wraps with Basil Cream Sauce – These make the quickest dinner or lunch and are mighty tasty!
Asparagus Goat Cheese Galette – This is one of my all time favorite recipes and we don’t let an asparagus season go by without making this at least once or twice.
Crispy Asparagus and Prosciutto with Creamy Lemon Thyme Sauce – There has never been a more delicious way to eat your veggies, I swear. These make a perfect appetizer.
Asparagus Ricotta Tarts with Honey Lemon Sauce – If vegetables could be dessert, this would be the recipe. So good. Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch . . . maybe dessert?