I am realizing, with increasing dread, that this is not the time of year to be backing off the dessert train. Things like these Chocolate Orange Brownie Cookies keep happening and I am finding them very hard to resist. They are cookies, round and slightly crispy on the outside, but also brownies that are fudgy and soft on the inside and beg to be eaten with ice cream. It’s not so much a question of whether or not to have one, but how many?
The upside to this season of sweets and treats is that it is really easy to get the kids involved. They are learning to love cooking, so I can normally talk them into helping out with even a salad, but there’s something special about baking this time of year. Everyone crammed into our tiny kitchen, vying for counter space, warm from the hot oven with chocolate and cinnamon on our fingers. This is most definitely my favorite time of year.
And to start the season off right, we’re baking these Chocolate Orange Brownie Cookies. They are flourless, so they fit into the gluten free category, which will make our holiday cookie deliveries a little bit easier this year. Best of all, these hybrid cookie-brownies are soft, chocolate, deliciousness and just unique enough to be an exciting addition to the holiday baking lineup.
These flourless brownie-cookies have proved to be a successful beginning to our holiday cooking baking this month. I’m feeling so confident that I’m ready to attempt a cookie exchange this year. Ever since I first saw Aimee’s gorgeous cookie exchange a few years ago, I’ve been trying to talk my introvert self into hosting a holiday cookie party of my own. This year is going to be the year.
These particular Chocolate Brownie Cookies are flavored with a bit of doTerra Orange Oil, though a few drops of Peppermint Oil make for a nice holiday cookie as well. Cookies like brownies, or brownies like cookies, either way these are some of my new favorites!
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 to 8 drops orange oil, or to taste
- ¼ cup softened, unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large egg whites, divided
- ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almonds, powdered sugar, cocoa, orange oil, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 egg white, and 1 tablespoon of water.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining egg white with the granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold the whisked egg white and sugar into the cocoa mixture. Divide the mixture evenly among 10 muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the tops look dry. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- In the microwave, or a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate with 1 tablespoon of butter until smooth. Drizzle over the tops of the cooled cookies.
These delicious Brownie Cookies are baked in a muffin tin to give them their shape and texture. I used my new Cake Boss muffin tin. This bakeware set is perfect for all the holiday baking we are doing right now and I love it’s sturdy, professional kitchen quality! Check out more fantastic bakeware at Hayneedle – if you know anyone who likes to cook (hint hint), they’ve got the perfect gifts!
I received a complimentary Bakeware Set from Hayneedle for review purposes. I was not compensated and all opinions are entirely my own.