This Pumpkin Waffle Trifle is a good alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. A rich, smooth Pumpkin Mousse is layered with crispy waffle bites, whipped cream, and a bit of shaved chocolate, making every bite delicious!
You could easily serve this up in a large trifle dish and make it an eye-popping centerpiece on the dessert table. It’s also really fun dished up in individual serving bowls/glasses – the kids especially appreciate their own fancy cup!
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3½ cups heavy cream, divided
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 14 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 oz shaved dark chocolate
- 16 whole grain Eggo waffles
- Partially fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Beat the egg yolks and ¾ cup sugar in a medium bowl until thick. In a small saucepan, bring ¾ cup cream to a boil. Stream the boiling cream into egg mixture while whisking continuously. Transfer mixture to a clean bowl and set over ice water.
- Stir the pumpkin, extracts, spices, and salt into the egg mixture. Beat ½ cup of cream until stiff peaks appear. Carefully fold cream into the pumpkin mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Beat the remaining cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Toast the Eggo Waffles. according to package directions, until crispy. Tear waffles into bite size pieces.
- In a large trifle dish, or 16 smaller serving cups, layer the pumpkin mousse, the whipped cream, the toasted waffles, and the shaved chocolate. Serve chilled. Makes 16 servings.
Go to The Great Eggo Waffle Off Contest and enter your recipe creations to win great prizes!