I love Spring! After months of dark Winter days and root vegetable meals, the bright greens of Spring are so refreshing. One of my favorite Spring produce items is Asparagus. It is easy to cook and even easier to eat – with just a little butter you have a delicious Spring side dish.
We’ve been enjoying simple buttered Asparagus at dinner for over week now, so when I found another big bunch of it at the market on Saturday I decided to dress it up a little. I remembered that when I was younger my mom used to make a Chicken Asparagus wrap that the whole family used to love. These Chicken Asparagus Wraps might not be exactly like what mom used to make, but they’re pretty darn close.
The star of this show is the asparagus, of course. But the Basil Cream Sauce that I added for a punch of flavor is a really good supporting actor here. These are light, flavorful, but still filling. You can bet we’ll have Chicken Asparagus Wraps on our menu all season long!
These Chicken Asparagus Wraps, with their creamy basil sauce, make a perfect quick lunch or dinner. To make it even easier, use rotisserie or canned chicken and you can have a hearty, fresh Spring meal in about 15 minutes. Oh, how I love Spring produce!
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- ½ teaspoon dry basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- 12 ounces asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken (rotisserie or canned works well)
- ½ cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup baby spinach (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients and mix well. Chill until ready for use.
- In a medium skillet, bring ½ cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add the asparagus. Cook covered for approximately 4 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Drain asparagus.
- To assemble wraps, spoon ¼ cup sauce into center of each tortilla. Divide asparagus evenly between the four tortillas and layer over sauce followed by ½ cup chicken, 1½ tablespoons tomatoes, and ¼ cup baby spinach (if using) on each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas into wraps and enjoy immediately! Makes 4 wraps.
For more Spring produce tips and recipes, check out this excellent Spring Produce Guide!